Filmed in Montana with generous support from the Big Sky Film Grant (Montana Film Office), the Greater Montana Foundation, Humanities Montana, and Treasure State Studios.
Co-sponsored by the Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History, the Northern Rockies Heritage Center, and private citizen Hayes Otoupalik, who provided locations and authentic artifacts for our shoots.
- Travel expenses for research, filmed interviews, reenactments, and location shoots across Montana:
– Total Mileage: 2,375 miles x $0.75/mile = $1,781.25.
– Food during Travel/Filming: $35/day x 4 people (Producer, Assistant Producer, Director of Photography, Second Camera) = $140/day x 25 days = $3,500.
– Lodging during Travel/Filming: $96/night x 4 people (Producer, Assistant Producer, Director of Photography, Second Camera) = $384/night x 21 nights = $8,064.
Travel TOTAL: $13,345.25.
- External hard drives to store raw footage, edited footage, rough cut, and final cut:
– Three drives, each 5 TB, firewire compatible:
LaCie $169.99 each X 3 = $509.97.
– San Disk 256GB Class 10 U3 memory card for HD digital film camera: $35 X 5 = $175.
Estimated hard drive TOTAL = $684.97.
- Equipment insurance for:
– 2 cameras Black Magic plus lenses and kit ($7,000 value), rents for $600/day.*
– 2 lav mics plus packs & cables ($1,200 value), rents for $60/day.*
– 1 boom mic plus sound kit ($1,600 value), rents for $150/day.*
– 1 3-light LED interview kit ($2,300 value), rents for $200/day.*
Equipment insurance premium TOTAL: $265.
*Applying for in-kind services grant to Treasure State Studios to cover these costs.
- Copyright permissions fees for use of archival photographs and/or music: $2,000.
- Costume rentals for 1920s street clothing, nurses uniforms, for reenactments: $650.
- Indigenous Cultural Advisor fee: $75/hour X 40 hrs = $3,000 X 2 Advisors = $6,000.
- Assistant Producer salary: $1,000/month X 12 = $12,000/one year.
- Director of Photography fee: $500/day X 23 days = $11,500.
- Second Camera fee: $500/day X 23 days = $11,500.
- Film Editor rate: $75/hr X 200 hrs = $15,000.
TOTAL Budget = $72,945.22.